Since this weekend marks the celebration of the beginning of the church and the power of the Holy Spirit at work, and since we talked this weekend about Extreme life, it's a good week to think about what life in the Spirit looks like.
Charlie talked this weekend about the advice Proverbs gives about the dangers of "too much." We need to remember also that the Scriptures paint us a great picture of Extreme life lived in the other direction. When the followers of Jesus first come together after his time with them, the Spirit of God shows up and unimaginable things happen.
Here's how Acts 2 describes Extreme life together:
- People who never understood each other before can listen and communicate. They actually spoke different languages so this means there is hope for those of us who speak English together but still don't get each other. (Acts 2.1-11)
- People were so full of energy and life that others who walked by thought they must be drunk on good, new wine. (Acts 2.12-15)
- People were saying the truth out loud. People were dreaming out loud. All people, women and men, old and young, poor and rich. (Acts 2.17-18)
- People who had rejected Jesus, even to the point of calling for his execution, were repenting and embracing Jesus. (Acts 2.29-41)
- People spent everyday in the presence of God and each other. They worshipped through meals, conversations, service and singing. (Acts 2.43-47)
Look at the lists in Ephesians 5.16-26. One list has to do with the desires that can kill us and one has to do with the stuff that brings life. Which list sounds more like your days?
Ask yourself and your friends: Do you have "too much" of anything dangerous in your life? Where do you have "not enough" of the good stuff that the Spirit of God can bring?